The historic Seventh Regiment Armory is now called the Park Avenue Armory.
The following is adapted from the article "The Seventh Regiment Armory in New York City" by Mary Anne Hunting from The Magazine Antiques, January 1999.
67th Street & Park Avenue, New York City
A prototype for hundreds of armories across the U.S, the Seventh Regiment Armory is celebrated for the splendor of its decorations executed by some of the most talented artisans of the day, its collections of decorative and fine arts, and its history. The armory was designed by the New York architect Charles William Clinton under the close supervision of Colonel Emmons Clark, the regiment's commander from 1864 to 1889. Taking inspiration from the architecture of railroad terminals, where the train shed extends behind the terminal building, the architect planned for two buildings joined: the Administrative Building and the Drill Room.
The Drill Room, developed by Charles McDonald, has 54,000 square feet of space spanning 187 feet from side to side. The Drill Room was one of the first privately built structures in the United States to use iron trusses, and it is today the oldest extant building of this kind in the country.
On the first floor of the Administrative Building are 14 rooms which, according to Kevin Stayton, curator of decorative arts at the Brooklyn Museum of Art, contain "the single most important collection of 19th century interiors to survive intact in one building . . . [and] form a large part of the foundation of our understanding of the art of this era." The leading examples of these period rooms are the Veterans' Room and the Library, both designed and executed by Louis Comfort Tiffany and the firm Associated Artists. To this day, the Armory is increasingly appreciated as an encyclopedia of New York's cultural and aesthetic climate during the late nineteenth century.
Sign up for our mailing list and show news.